Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Jamaica - Orphanage

After our travel day, we ventured to an orphanage in the mountains outside of Montego Bay. We didn't know how many children were housed, the size of the facility, or the extent of what we would be doing. It left quite an impression on all who came.

I told the team that I felt there was going to be a young boy in a wheelchair. I asked Keeli if she had a word of knowledge about our destination. She said, "Purple shirt."

The van (driven nicely by William on the left side of the road) was packed with clothes, candy, and toys. One man riding his bicycle through traffic recognized us. He worked at the resort we were staying at and offered to show us the way. After he parked his bike, I opened the van door and he jumped in next to me. His name was Steve and he showed us exactly where to go, asking for a tip. We were happy to accommodate since we didn't have a map.

We followed Pastor Dailey (a local minister and friend of Kermit's) through the windy mountain roads. There was rarely a smooth area of pavement. Potholes littered the road and cars sped around curves, missing us by little.

Upon our arrival, I saw the sign: Westhaven Orphanage for Disabled Children. My first words: We hit the jackpot! As we entered the gate, a boy in a purple shirt sat in his wheelchair. This was where Holy Spirit was directing me.

We arrived at lunchtime. The orphanage's volunteers and employees gave us the opportunity to serve lunch to the children. Because so many were in wheelchairs, all were mentally handicapped, and many couldn't speak or hear, we had to feed them with a bowl and spoon, ward off flies and wipe their mouths while fending their food from other children who would attempt to take a bite. I fed the young boy in a purple shirt. His name is Ronaldo, he's 12 years old and is a victim of cerebral palsy. He couldn't speak. I would tell him I was ready to offer the next bite when he was. I would talk to him because I believe he could hear and understand me. Beyond that, I believe his spirit-man could hear me.

After feeding Ronaldo, I just sat with him and gave him company. 79 children fill the beds and cottages in the orphanage but I believe the Lord wanted me to stop for this one. I shared testimonies about a friend who was healed of cerebral palsy and how Jesus loved him so much. I challenged him to say the name Jesus. Many who have uttered the Name have been delivered from dumb in their speech.

J.J., a new friend from Douglasville, brought his guitar. He began playing and singing worship songs and the children began to sing and dance. Lifeless eyes greeted us but the Holy Spirit had sparked new life in these children by the time we departed. Whenever I approached Ronaldo, a big smile would grace his countenance. I was able to make children laugh who didn't laugh on a regular basis. Playing with kids can make a difference.

One young man named Keno was in a wheelchair and had twisted fingers. As we were leaving, Kermit asked if he could pray for his fingers. Keno's comprehension level was somewhat higher than most in the orphanage, so he agreed, let Kermit pray, and tested in the ways Kermit asked him to. Sure enough, his fingers were much, much straighter. He was excited that God touched him. We thanked the caregivers and left these children on the verge of tears in our eyes.

Today was overwhelming and emotional. We gave the kids what they needed: Love. It's hard to shake an experience like this. I believe the Holy Spirit will heal every single child because Christ in us made a visit today.

Jonathan


No comments:

Post a Comment